Friday, September 13, 2013

Hair Comments/Questions From Work People

Whether my hair is relaxed, natural, braided, or just a different style than the day before, I get so many comments from my co-workers (all non-black).  Whenever I go in the day of a new style, I'm like, "okay, here we go..."  Here are some of my favorite comments- some inappropriate and flat out rude:

What did you do to your hair?!

Is it yours?

What is it made of?

How long did it take? (braids/twists)

Can you wash it?

Did you do it yourself?

Who did it?

How do you sleep?

How long will it last?

Is this style easier than the last one?

It really fits your face!

It looks so silky!

How much did it cost?

Did you cut your hair?

Can you comb it?

I wish I could do that with my hair!

You look like Beyonce/Lauryn Hill/Halle Berry/Melissa Harris Perry/some other black celebrity I look nothing like!

I love your weave! (when it's not a weave)

You remind me of my Barbie head I had as a child with all of your hairstyles!

Do you unbraid them at night and re-braid every morning? (braids)

I like this style so much better than the last one.

You can do so much with our hair.

Can I touch it?

I've dealt with these questions and comments for years, so at this point, nothing these mofos say surprise me.  I sometimes make up answers, like "yes, I re-braid them every day," or "it only took an hour for me to put all these braids in."

Am I missing any crazy/funny/rude/stupid comments??

3 comments:

KLP @ SavingOurStrands said...

Girl!!! And this is the short list!

I actually think that 99% of the time, they are just curious and trying to make conversation. The other 1% is just a rude person being annoying.

I think that Curly Kinky coils affords more creativity with our hair than straighter hair does. They probably think that you are a chameleon. Ha-ha! Take it with a grain of salt.

KLP @ SavingOurStrands

Unknown said...

Sooooooooooo true!

Anonymous said...

I completely agree with KLP's comments. (If there was a facebook like button I would click it, lol).

Curly/kinky hair does offer so much more creativity-- allowing us greater freedom to change up our hair when we like. People are curious about change in general... For example, non-hair related, I don't wear make up often but the day I do, i get all sorts of questions, lol.

I've never had any one at work ask to touch my hair though... that would be crossing the line!