Monday, March 3, 2014

Flat Twist Updo Take 1

I've been wanting to do a protective style for a while...one that I could do myself!  Last spring and summer I got twists and micro braids put in by a local braider.  I wanted a style that would give me a break from twisting my hair every night and protect my hair. I used these two videos as inspiration:





Beautiful, right?  I finally found the courage this weekend to give it a try!

After washing and conditioning my hair, I let it air dry about 80% in sections and then blow dried each section using the tension method.  I knew I didn't need my hair straight, just stretched out some, so I didn't use a comb or brush when blow drying to prevent breakage.  I then sectioned my hair into four sections- two sides, front and back.  I made sharp parts for each twist, and applied Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Mask to each section before twisting.  When I was done twisting, I pinned the twists on top of my head.



The whole process took me a little over an hour.  I was worried about the back, because I've never cornrowed or flat twisted up the back, but it wasn't as bad as I thought I would. I definitely need practice, though!

I'm hoping to keep this style for the remainder of the week, re-twisting a couple of twists if I need to.  Once I get some more growth in the front (c'mon bangs!), I know this style will really look nice.

3 comments:

KLP @ SavingOurStrands said...

This is a gorge look on you chica!

KLP | SavingOurStrands

Tiffanita said...

Thanks @KLP!

Natural Herbs Clinic said...

Though there are lots of dyes on the market formulated particularly for Gray Hair Treatment, the harsh chemicals in these products make them disagreeable to those with an eye for maintaining optimal health.