Monday, January 28, 2008

Product Inventory

Okay, so I just took inventory of my hair products. I'm a little embarrassed about some of the stuff I had. I actually threw a good amount of stuff away or put into storage a couple of months ago, so who knows what I have in storage. Some, I didn't even realize I had!

Shampoo

  • Pantene Pro-V Relaxer & Natural Intensive Moisture Shampoo - I've used this for a couple of years, but I keep hearing it's not good for your hair, so I'm going to stop
  • Warm Spirit Lavender Gentle Shampoo - I really like this stuff, but I don't know if it's good
  • Isoplus Neutralizing Shampoo - I only use if I get a perm at home, which is hardly ever
  • Fuller's Dandruff Shampoo - my girl used to work for Dudley's and gave it to me- it's seems really strong on my hair and leaves it feeling dry and hard
  • Neutrogena Therapeutic T/Gel Shampoo - the bottle is pretty much full because it's so strong- for emergencies only!
  • Icon Swimmer's Shampoo - my old stylist Ghana gave this to me when she heard I was at my uncle's pool a lot. I don't really have an opinion on this product, but I feel like I'm helping somehow...

Conditioner

  • Queen Helene Cholesterol with Ginseng - I don't use much, but I will include this in my DC regimen
  • Organics Hair Mayonnaise - again, I don't use much, but I will start using for DC
  • Motions Moisture Plus Conditioner - I like how my hair feels with this (maybe it's the silicone?), but I've heard not so good things
  • Pantene Pro-V Relaxer & Natural Intensive Moisture Conditioner - like the shampoo, I've used this for a couple of years, but I keep hearing it's not good for your hair, so I'm going to stop
  • Warm Spirit Lavender Finishing Rinse - again, I love Warm Spirit products because I think they're made especially for black women, but I don't know how effective this is...maybe I'll use as a pre-conditioner while in the shower
  • Parnevu Scalp Therapy Leave-in Conditioner - my best friend and her Hampton friends used to swear by this. I do like it in place of setting lotion sometimes
  • Parnevu for Extra Dry Hair Leave-in Conditioner - I've probably only used this once or twice, and I guess I wasn't too impressed
  • At One Botanical Reconstrucor Conditioner with Moisture Recovery - I don't remember the last time I used it, but it looks like it could be pretty good. I'm going to try it soon
  • Elasta QP DPR-11 Deep Penetrating Remoisturizer - this looks really good, but I think I've only used it once (why? because I'm a product whore and forgot it among the other crap I have!)

Setting Lotion

  • Dudley's Fantastic Body Setting Lotion - I love the way my hair feels, but I think I use too much, so I'm going to dilute it with water
  • Lottabody - I swear by Lottabody- it's never let me down
  • Paul Mitchell Foaming Pomade - I used this when I had really short hair; it's good for sculpting. My stylist in Boston uses it for my edges, but it doesn't work for me now that my hair is longer and I roller set it.
  • Isoplus Wrap Lotion - again, good for the short style, but I don't like it as a setting lotion

Oils

  • Warm Spirit Hair Oil - this stuff is the BOMB. It was the only stuff that soothed my scalp and got rid of the dryness after my bad perm in December. It's also good as a hot oil treatment. It has all natural oils (sunflower, almond, etc.). It is expensive ($12 for 4oz bottle) but it lasts a long time.
  • Isoplus Tea Tree & Aloe Oil Sheen - this is just a sample size I bought last month to sooth my edges and to make me not look crazy at work while my scalp was flaky and oozing. I had to apply it a couple of times a day, but my scalp was in really bad shape. I would buy it again even when my hair got back to normal. I love tea tree and aloe ;-)
  • Dudley's Scalp Special Hair & Scalp Oil - J gave this to me years ago when she worked for Dudley's. It's kinda heavy, but good when my scalp is really dry or as a base before a relaxer
  • Razac Perfect for Perms Hair Oil - This was good for my scalp when I had braids. It's a little too heavy for me, so I only use it once in a while. I'm not getting rid of it.
  • Influance Stimulating Scalp Oil - my stylist in NC gave me this sample. It feels soothing, but it's too heavy and it doesn't really help my scalp. I've decided that I don't like the Influance line (I made my stylist stop using the setting lotion on my hair because although it give my hair good body, it's leaves a film on my hair and scalp)
  • Hollywood Tea Tree Oil Skin & Scalp Treatment - this is good for hot oil treatments

Moisturizers/Hairdress

  • Clairol Vitapointe - this is old school (ask your grandma); I find it's best for me when my hair is in it's best shape. It's a great moisturizer, but not heavy at all (the slogan is something like, the grease goes away, but the shine stays - so true!)
  • Johnson Products Ultra Sheen Hairdress - The old green grease in the jar- I know, I only use it to base my scalp before a relaxer!
  • Sulfur 8 - really good for dandruff, and I swear it helps growth. The smell can be hard to take though
  • Big Bad D Keala Oil - I swear by this stuff too. I've been using it since '98. You only need a little, so it's lasts over a year. You can use it on skin too, but I never have.
  • Optimum Oil Therapy Hair & Scalp Quencher - I really like this stuff too. Not heavy at all.
  • At One Itchy Scalp Treatment - I used to swear by this. I only need a little to soothe my scalp and make my hair shiny. It hasn't been working these past couple of months with my scalp problems though
  • Aphogee Balance Moisturizer - I used to use a lot because it helps with thickness, but I find that it makes my hair look dull
  • Dudley's PCA Moisture Retainer - A lot of people recommended this to me, but I haven't had much luck with it
  • Elast QP Recovery Moister Creme Hairdress - I don't even know why I have this. I don't ever remember using it!
  • Frizz Ease Relaxer Moisture Remedy Balm - I bought this because I thought this would smooth down my edges, but it didn't
  • Razac Perfect for Perms Finishing Creme - I love this stuff! It's kinda like the vitapointe, but a little heavier. My Dominican stylist uses it too.
  • Warm Spirit Anahita's Hair Butter - I haven't had much luck with this. It feels heavy to me, but my soror who sells Warm Spirit swears by it

Other

  • Ampro Pro Style Gel - that old black gel. I hate it because it makes my hair feel dry and hard. I need to throw it away immediately, especially now that I don't have short hair
  • Luster's Renutrients Slick Stick - another product that I thought would smooth my edges down. It seems like it works a little, but it's grainy and leaves a gross film
  • Elasta QP Glaze - This is probably the best gel I've ever used. I used to use it to smooth down my nape when sculpting my hair. I'm going to hold on to it even though my hair is longer now
  • Motions Heat Sealer Protective Spray - I thought this would protect my hair when flat ironing. I don't like it because it didn't meet my expectations at all and made my hair feel hard
  • Isoplus Spritz - good when I had a short style, but I'm afraid to use it now
  • Aveda Brilliant Anti-Humectant Pomade - another product people recommended that doesn't work for me, but I hold on to it because it was expensive (I know, I'm stupid)
  • TRESemme European Instant Heat Tamer Styling Spray - another disappointing product I thought would protect my hair when flat ironing. I should have known because of the cheap price and the fact that it's not for black hair. I need to just buy the Paul Mitchell Skinny serum or keep the heat off my hair
  • Dudley's Scalp & Skin Antiseptic Conditioner - I've had this for like 10 years. I used to put it on my scalp and scratch it before washing, but I don't know if I should even try to use it anymore because I'm trying not to scratch my scalp anymore

Whew! That's a lot! I'll make comments about the stuff tomorrow!

No comments: