Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Conditioner Washing?

Conditioner washing, or co-washing, is when you use a conditioner instead of shampoo to cleanse the scalp and hair instead of shampoos which are harsh and drying. It's a gentle way to cleanse hair and get rid of product build-up. The benefits are soft manageable hair, faster growth from scalp stimulation, and healthy moisturized ends. I think this might help my hair get stronger. Next week I want to try doing a co-wash 2-3 times a week. Most shampoos (I think all the ones I have) have sodium laryth or some derivative which is extremely drying for hair. I've always thought that shampoos were harsh on my hair and leave it dry and stripped. It might even help my color rinse stay a little longer. I'm a little afraid of styling my hair afterwards (do I really want to rollerset my hair 3 times a week?!) but now that the weather is getting warmer and my hair longer, I can try a braid-out or just put it up in a bun.

Here are some tips for co-washing. It's probably best for people with natural hair, but I've heard some relaxed head doing really well with it. And, it should help soften my new growth!

1 comment:

Ms. S said...

Have you tried co-washing yet? I tried it this past weekend. No yay or nay comment on it yet. I plan on adding it to my regimen as well-- I also read that Motions info before.

Let me know ow it goes for you!