Monday, January 10, 2011

January 2011 Hair Update

I've been doing some heavy thinking about my hair. I get into these "deep thought" moments especially when I'm not happy what's going on with my hair. I was in the process of making a slide show of my 3-year hair journey, and looking at the pictures side-by-side really helped me look at the condition of my hair, the products I've been using, and my styling techniques. I know a lot of it is the cold, dry winter air, but I've identified some other issues:

* I need a good trim. My stylist is so good at just giving me dustings, but I can't remember the last time I had a real trim. I'm so happy that I made arm-pit length, but I'm willing to cut up to an inch if it means my ends are thick and healthy again.

* I may go back to black again. I know I've written more times than I can count that I wanted to stay away from the black rinses, but I miss the shine and thickness the black gives me. I feel like the black color conditions my hair better than any other colors, and it allows for products to work better in my hair. I'm undecided on whether I'll go black before or after my trim.

* I thought I had porosity issues because my hair wouldn't hold a curl, but I realized yesterday that I just needed some setting lotion. DUH! Why I thought my hair would just stay curled without setting lotion is beyond me. Last night I used Dudley's Fantastic Body Setting Lotion, and my curls looked amazing. Even today after I took the pin curls out, my curls are really thick and bouncy.

* I'm going to start using a t-shirt or microfiber towel to dry my hair from now on. I've been wringing my hair out with my hands, which I believe is causing breakage.

* I still need a good moisturizer. The ones I use are pretty good, but not doing what I need them to do. I think I'll try one new moisturizer each month until I find what my hair is so thirsty for!

No comments: