Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Work Out Hair

I am so happy to get a relaxer this week. Between the heat and my working out 3-4 times a week, my hair is not behaving! I really think that 10 weeks is my limit now. I would like to go longer, but I'm already experiencing more shedding than usual.

I'm so proud of myself for keeping up with my exercise. It's only my 4th week at the gym, and I can already see and feel results. I'm going to try to hold off weighing myself for another week or two, but I do feel lighter on my feet, and I feel like I have more energy. I actually got up this morning and cleaned my bathroom and cooked dinner before getting me and my son dressed and heading out to work. That in and of itself is a miracle. I don't think I did that before I had a baby!

Taking care of my hair during the week after working out has not been as difficult as I thought. I really don't have any desire or time to co-wash my hair after every workout, so I'm aiming to co-wash my hair only once during the week and once on the weekend. I never sweated this much at the gym, so I think I'm getting in really good workouts (Zumba is the bomb!). I put a headband around my edges to keep them down and put the rest of my hair up into a loose bun on the top of my head. After my workout, I leave my hair as is for a while until I know it's dry, and then I take it down, moisturize and seal. I've actually been able to keep most of the curls this way too. After last week's positive braidout experience, I am determined to make my braidouts and bantu knot outs pretty enough to rock on a weekly basis. I'm looking forward to my workout routine to not only help my body and mental health, but my hair health as well.

1 comment:

Anne said...

Hello Tiffanita,

Regarding your after exercise hair care routine.

Have you had any negative effects from the salt and sweat drying on your hair.

I'm hoping to start exercising at a gym soon and have heard lots of conflicting advice.

I want to avoid hygral damage, so don't want to wash my hair too much but am trying to grow and wonder about the effect of dried sweat on my scalp.

TIA.