Wednesday, January 4, 2012

2012 - Happy New Year!

I haven't been blogging for the past month, because I've been taking time to really think and analyze my hair regimen. My hair has been really dry and difficult to manage lately. I thought about products and techniques I used during the first 2 years of my hair journey, which resulted in a healthy head of hair. I finally came to the conclusion that I've basically just slacked off on my regimen! I really have to get strict again about taking care of my hair.

One of the biggest things I realized is that I was in "denial" about having long hair. I've had short hair for most of my life, and pretty much my whole adult life, with the exception of the past couple of years. I should have been more diligent in conditioning and moisturizing my hair TWO years ago when my hair hit my shoulders. Instead, I've been using the same amount of product I did when my hair was short!

Another culprit- moisturizing and sealing. I've been really bad at moisturizing and sealing my hair on a regular basis. I still haven't found 'the' moisturizer, but something is better than nothing, right? Shame on me- I should know better! I live in the Northeast and it's winter. My hair is relaxed and naturally dry. Last night I moisturized my hair in 6 sections with ORS moisturizer and sealed with coconut oil. What a difference a day makes- today my hair is moist, shiny and smooth. Although my hair is a little heavy, I prefer this over dryness. I'm wearing a bun anyway!

Winter can wreak havoc on my hair, so I have to keep my head covered when I go outside. I recently sewed satin linings in all of our hats, so I have no excuse. I have already gotten a humidifier for my office at work, and I have "borrowed" the humidifier from son's room until I buy one for mine. I will continue drinking lots of water. I am also considering taking vitamins again.

I also need to finally figure out my moisture/protein balance. My hair is fine, which makes me think it needs more protein than I give it, but I'm also nervous about protein overload and making it drier than it already is.

There are products that I used at the beginning of my hair journey that helped my hair thrive, but for some reason, I stopped using them. My favorite product used to be coconut oil. I used it as a sealant, leave-in, and for hot oil treatments. Coconut oil is back in the rotation. Castor oil is out for a while. Another product that kept my hair moist and shiny was ORS Replenishing Pak. I just started using the KeraPro line, but I think I'll alternate deep conditioners with the ORS and KeraPro. I think my hair is becoming more porous, so I'm going to start back using the Roux Porosity Control treatment at least once a month.

I always plan to wear protective styles the majority of the time, but I haven't been doing it. I think I've finally figured out how to create a bun I like, so I think I can wear protective styles at least 4 days a week for the rest of the winter. I might even join Traycee's protective style challenge!


Tiffanita's 2012 Hair Goals:

  • Maintain a good moisture level
  • Improve the health and length of my edges
  • Blog more to keep track of my progress and techniques and products
  • Reach bra strap length


The new year is about making goals, but also reflecting on the past year. I'm glad I've taken some time to do that. I feel positive about my plan and about the year ahead. I'm not happy with my hair today, but I'm confident that I will be in the coming weeks, and that I will meet my goals.

I wish all of you a blessed, prosperous, and healthy 2012!
-Tif

3 comments:

MsQuanna said...

You hair has definitely grown so much over the past few years!

Chanel said...

Very good goals for this year. Winter has been rough on my hair and skin as well. I would love to see the bun that you are doing now. I could use some new ideas.

Tiffanita said...

Thanks MsQuanna! Congrats again- your wedding pictures are beautiful!!

@Chanel, I will start taking pictures of my buns. Hopefully, my buns will get thicker over time.