Monday, January 23, 2012

Salon visit at 8 Weeks

I couldn't take it anymore.  My hair was not doing what I wanted it to do, so I went to get it done.  I went to a salon not far from my house that I went to a lot when I was pregnant a couple of years ago.  It's not run by Dominicans, but their technique is like the Dominican salons, except they don't burn the heck out of your scalp with the blow dryer!

I wasn't even sure the place was still open, so I didn't do an oil pre-poo like I wanted.  They were open, but moved down the street.  It was snowing, so it was pretty empty when I walked in.  They immediately took me to the sink to wash my hair.  The woman who washed my hair was very gentle, which I liked.  The last time I went, the wash girl was ridiculously rough shampooing and detangling my hair. I couldn't see what kind of shampoo and conditioner she used, but they smelled good.  I noticed that most of the products at the sink were Mizani and Biolage.  She then set my hair on large grey magnetic rollers with Biolage and Mizani leave-ins.  I'm sure I could have asked for smaller rollers to achieve a curlier look, but my goal was really to tame my hair a little.  I sat under the dryer for no more than an hour, and then I went to the styling chair.  Because I'm usually the thickest-head (=nappiest) in there, usually only the owner will blow out my roots, which I'm fine with, because I know my hair will come out nice.  She used Ion's Flat Iron Spray on each section before she blow dried my roots, and applied Moroccan Oil after she was done.  My hair was really straight and bouncy.  Since it was nasty outside, she wrapped my hair, I put on my hat, and I was out of there.  I don't think I was there for 2 hours, which is great.

My hair came out so nice.  I can't believe how she got my roots to lay down so flat with so little heat.  She even got my edges straight, which is unheard of for me.  I would be happy with the bounce I got if I was 2 weeks post relaxer, but I was 8 weeks!  The only thing I'm not happy about is the condition of my hair.  Although it's straight and bouncy, it's not at the thickness level I want.  I know that is from my being lazy with moisturizing for the past few months.  Even wrapping my hair the past couple of nights has been good.  I'm convinced I don't know how to wrap my hair myself because every time I do it after a set, it looks crazy.

I have decided to go back to the black rinse/cellophane.  It really helps my hair hold moisture, look thicker and be shiny.  I also have a feeling that the henna has dried my hair out some, so I'm giving it a break for a while.  I'll get a black color when I get my hair relaxed next week.  I think I'm going to my old stylist for my relaxer, but I will go back to this salon to get sets.  They're fast, good, and open on Sundays!

No comments: