Friday, March 23, 2012

Something Has to Change


Over the past 6 months, I've seriously considered transitioning to natural.  Between my getting older, and my hair getting longer, I just don't like how thin my hair looks, even when it's in a healthy state.  Even when my stylist using a mild relaxer, my hair just comes out too straight for my taste.  Maybe I'll try self-texlaxing in about a month, when I'm at least 12 weeks post relaxer, but I really want to stretch it out and figure out how to manage my new growth.  I've had a relaxer since I was 13, and I would like to see what my real texture is like.  I'm sure it's changed, AND since I wasn't properly conditioning my hair when I was younger, I don't know if I ever knew what my texture was.  All I know is that I cannot and will not continue to abuse my hair with a bone straight relaxer.  My mother, her sister, and my aunts on my father's side have all said that their hair just couldn't take relaxers at some point.

The other night I talked to my girlfriend who has been natural for quite a while now. She wears weaves mostly, but lets her natural hair out every couple of months or so.  She is really encouraging, even if I don't want to wear my natural hair the way she wears hers.  I know that this will be a new journey for me- physically and mentally.  I also know that I'll probably have to start over with most of my products and tools.  On one hand, I'm scared and worried, but on the other hand, I know that if I take care of my hair properly and listen to what it needs, I will have such a better head of hair.  Also, even though I only go to the salon for relaxers and trims, I would save so much money and time being a complete DIYer.  I hate going to the salon. I am hardly ever happy with how my hair looks after I leave, and I feel like I'm wasting precious time when I could be doing other things.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOOODNEESSS TIFFANITA!!! I am soooo excited that you are coming to this decision! Your hair is gorgeous (yes, I follow your blog and droooool at your lovely locs!) Girl! Your natural hair will be BEAUTIFUL! Lots of versatility and lots of fun too. I transitioned for 8 months, but am like a 4b so yes, eventually it became to hard to manage both textures. I ABSOLUTELY LOVEEE my curly hair..am sure you will too:-)

mrsquanna said...

Your relaxed hair looks GREAT! It has grown so much over the past couple of years.

But... I echo Anonymous's comments. Your natural hair will look great as well. It'll take a lot of getting used to but as you transition over time it'll get easier. It certainly won't be no maintenance ,and at times it may feel like natural hair is higher maintenance, but I think you'll appreciate the flexibility.

Good luck! :)

Hairlicious Inc. said...

Tiffanita I've been a long time follower of your blog and I've seen tremendous progress with your hair over the years. It has grown and become thicker. It's beautiful! However you and only you will know whether or not you should go natural. I lovvvveee natural hair and I always think about going natural when I stretch my relaxers (I'm constantly playing in my new growth). Take time. Think about it from all angles and I know you will make the right decision. Either way, you'll still look gorgeous :)

The TyWay said...

Hey Tiff!!! Im sure you'll make the best decision for your hair whether it be relaxed, texlaxed or natural. Good luck!