Monday, October 22, 2012

I Love My Natural Hair. I Love My Natural Hair.


I really don't love it right now, but I'm trying to talk myself into it!

I did a twist out last week.  The weather cooled down, and I felt like I was catching a cold, so I decided not to swim for the week.  I figured it was the perfect time to try a twistout.  I still haven't mastered flat twists, so I decided to do individual twists.

I co-washed, and used Kinky Curly Knot Today Leave-in mixed with some aloe vera juice and oil.  I twisted each section with a little Ecostyler gel on each section.  I pinned most of the twists down, to keep them twisted and to stretch them out some.  When I woke up, my hair was completely dry.  I took out the twists with some coconut oil on my hands.  Most of my twists, especially in the front were very well defined. Some parts of the back looked frizzy to me.  The next night, I re-twisted just a few areas in the back and on the sides.

This is not a great picture...I liked that my hair was stretched out, but I don't love the results.  I think I need to use different products to twist, because my hair didn't look as moist and shiny as I had hoped.  Next time I'll use something other than coconut oil to take the twists out.

I tried another twistout last night, using Cantu Shea Butter Leave-in and grapeseed oil (no gel).  I had bigger twists this time.  I like how the ends of my hair came out, but did not like how puffy and dry my roots looked and felt.  I ended up co-washing and wearing my usual wash and go afro.

I don't think the gel is helping my hair stay moisturized. Maybe it's due to the weather not being as humid and warm.  I also don't think coconut oil is working for me.  Actually, most oils seem to only coat my hair at this point.  I don't even get any shine from them.

I'm feeling discouraged.  I can't seem to keep my hair moisturized, especially at the roots.  My hair strands are fine, so it's hard to get the roots to clump together like I want them to.  I'm not giving up, I just need to figure this out....


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Jamaican Black Castor just started using this product (first use) but i saw a tremendous change in the amount of shedding i experienced whilst washing my hair. right now its a massive thumbs up!