Monday, July 7, 2008

Relaxer time

Again, I made it 8 weeks! I had never gone longer than 6 before I started my hair journey in January, so I am very proud of myself. I have been experiencing some breakage and my hair has been very hard to style over the past week or so, so yes, it's time.

I'm just worried because I didn't do my "pre-relaxer treatment." I originally planned on going to the salon on Friday, but my stylist called me today and said I could come earlier in the week so I could get in and out. I took Wednesday after work. Now, I'm not sure if I should wash and do a protein treatment 2 days before my relaxer. I haven't been scratching, but I don't want to burn either. On the other hand, I want my hair as strong as it can be. I'll decide when I get home.

I'm also not sure about getting my hair cut. I really want a short cut again, but I also really want to see how long my hair can grow healthy. So, I'll either get it cut really short, or I'll get the last 1/2 inch of overprocessed ends cut off. I just realized that the rollers I've been using to set my hair are too big. I set it on rollers a couple of sizes smaller last week, and my hair came out much better- but only for a day since I sweat it at a cookout on Friday and my roots are thick as thieves. Seeing Malinda Williams at her bridal shower didn't help discourage me from cutting it either!


UPDATE 7/8/08: So I washed last night. I shampoo'd once with Elasta QP Creme Moisturizing Shampoo and did an Aphogee 2-minute protein treatment. I put in some Giovanni leave-in and tied my hair down with a scarf. This morning, I ran through my hair with a warm flat iron, put the front in a clip and off I went. It's really hot and humid today, so there was no use putting in too much effort. Oh, I also oiled my scalp with Hollywood Beauty Castor Oil with mink oil. I'll do it again tonight and tomorrow morning before my relaxer tomorrow evening.
Some pics of my new growth taken today and today's hairstyle, which is not what it looks like today, but similar:


3 comments:

Ms. S said...

Hmm... To wash or to not to wash.

I washed my hair 3 days before my touch-up last week.

My suggestion would be to go for the wash but wear your hair in a very low maintenance hair style for Tuesday (?)

Oh and oiling your scalp might help prevent burns as well...just for the next few days.

Tiffanita said...

Thanks for your advice. I went ahead and washed and airdried with a silk scarf. I couldn't see my stylist looking like I did earlier today. My hair was a mess- itchy, frizzy, and unmanageable! I haven't been scratching, but I will oil my scalp with castor oil a couple times a day until my touch-up.

Hairlicious Inc. said...

I use the same Hollywood Beauty Castor Oil..I love it..makes my hair soft. The Elsata Qp Shampoo that you use..is it for Relaxed hair or is it the Creme Conditioning shampoo?