Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Air Drying Success (Finally)

One of my biggest challenges has been air drying. I always end up with hard, dry, crinkly hair.  However, I as progress in my transition, I'm going to have to master air drying.  Last night when I came home from the gym, I knew I had to do something, but I didn't want to roller set it- I was tired, and it was just too much manipulation, since I set it just 2 days before.

My friend (in my head), On Some Hair Sh*t, reminded me to "Kimmaytube" my leave-in conditioner for shinier hair.  I tried this about a year ago, and loved it.  I'm not quite sure why I didn't keep doing it, because I really do get good results.

I co-washed with Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut conditioner.  I used this conditioner to co-wash when I first started my hair journey 4 years ago, but stopped using it when I started to use V05 more.  I always keep some in the house because my stepdaughter uses it to co-wash when she stays with us.  Anyway, I'm in love with this conditioner.  First of all, I love the smell of coconut.  Secondly, I couldn't believe how easy it was to de-tangle my hair.  When I rinsed it out, my hair felt silky and smooth.  I dried my hair with a t-shirt to prevent frizz, and then added my leave-in.  I mixed about a quarter size amount of Salerm 21 leave-in conditioner with 1 tablespoon of aloe vera juice and one teaspoon of jojoba oil.  I tied my edges down with a silk scarf and let my hair air dry.  Every 20 minutes or so, I would check my hair in the mirror and looked shiny and smooth.  When I felt my hair, it felt moist from the roots to the tips.  It was like a miracle.  My ends never stay smooth when I air dry. My plan was to attempt a braidout or twistout, but I was just too tired, so I put my hair in a bun and went to bed.  I'll try later this week.

This experience really boosted my confidence in air drying.  Now, I just need to work on my edges...

2 comments:

MeliMel said...

Great! I will try this because I have FAILED at air drying!

The TyWay said...

Hey Friend!!! Yay, u found something that worked. :-) Good! Yes, we gotta tackle our edges. If u find a fix pls let me know. I struggle with mines too. They are unruly, crunchy (lol) & thinning out a bit. Right now, Ive been lightly spraying them with water and sealing with castor or coconut oil. I dont want to lose my edges while transitioning.